Data & Partnerships PolymathClosed
16 July 2021
Salary: $90,000 - $150,000
DevResults is a technology company that has worked in the international development and humanitarian sector for over a decade. We’re seeking a self-starter with a wide range of competencies who is excited to wear many hats.
What You'll Do
DevResults supports government agencies, implementing partners, and non-profits around the world. Your job will be to boost their impact by helping their projects use our data management software. Our company is fully remote, but our Data & Partnerships team is based in DC. We’re flexible on your location but need 4 hours of overlap within 7am-1pm Eastern Time (for collaboration with your teammates and our clients in Europe and Africa).
This role will involve:
- Learning the DevResults data management software inside and out
- Explaining how to organize information for import into DevResults
- Learning how to interact with our SQL database to set up new clients
- Helping organizations sort out their metrics and workflows to track progress
- Training on the DevResults platform and providing ongoing support for our users (here’s a blog post on how our on-call system works - you’ll do roughly one week/month)
- Developing help materials (here’s our primary Knowledge Base)
- Doing demos, webinars, and other public speaking for small- to medium-sized audiences
- A few weeks of travel per year (domestic and international) when Covid-19 precautions are lifted
Once you’re an expert at all that, you’ll work with our team to scale up our training and implementations. Beyond those responsibilities, we’re excited to hear how you would expand that portfolio into other ventures like:
- Business development
- Marketing and communications
- Product development
- Software engineering
- Privacy and security
- Accessibility and UI design
- Change management
- Domain expertise
- You tell us!
The people who succeed at DevResults are able to identify problems on their own, take initiative in finding solutions, and implement them in concert with the team. We're looking for someone with big ideas who will also care about the small stuff – someone who is exceptionally attentive to details and prepared to work hard.
What You’ll Bring
You’re comfortable with spreadsheets, quantitative information, and abstract thinking
- Required: Solid Excel skills. You’re the kind of person who took advanced math in high school even if you forgot it. You can think through what information really means and can tell a story with data.
- Big Plus: Making awesome graphs and infographics. Some familiarity with relational data and/or SQL.
Expertise in Training or Teaching
- Required: You’re excellent at explaining things—and you love it. You have an eye for design and experience with creating training and help materials.
- Big Plus: Your background includes training, knowledge management, developing training programs for technical subjects, or curriculum development. You’ve worked as an educator in challenging environments.
Experience in the international development and humanitarian sectors
- Required: You understand the goals, stakeholders, dynamics, and challenges in the sectors.
- Big Plus: Professional work history with a government donor agency or a donor funded program. Serious M&E experience - results frameworks, indicators, data collection, analysis, reporting. Professional-level proficiency in a language besides English.
Experience with developing management policies and practices
- Required: You solve organizational problems. You have professional experience communicating with clients. You run a tight, well-structured meeting.
- Big Plus: You’ve planned and implemented ideas that reduced bureaucracy. You’ve scaled up an existing initiative or helped develop a consulting service. You’ve written successful proposals.
Who We Are
We make and implement DevResults, a web-based application for monitoring, evaluation and learning for the international development and humanitarian sector. DevResults is used by organizations in over 60 countries. We intend for DevResults to become the industry standard for monitoring, evaluation, and learning management.
We’re all good at what we do, and we enjoy working together. You’ll have autonomy and respect from day one. You’ll have neither managers nor subordinates, just a lot of interesting and challenging work to get done. We’re a small team – you will be the tenth member of the company and the fifth member of the “non-engineering” team.
We love what we do and we enjoy having a clear, real-world impact. This is an exciting time to be working at the intersection of data and international development, and we’re enthusiastic about DevResults’ current and future success.
As much as we care about the work, we care more about those who do the work. We offer competitive benefits, strive to maintain and build upon an inclusive company culture, but most importantly, we have each others’ backs. We do our best to enable each other to make decisions and suggestions about everything we do. We’re proud of what we’ve built so far and fully aware of where there is still work to be done.
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and convince us that (a) this is the job of your dreams and (b) you’re a great match for this job and this company. Send us your resume or other evidence that you’re awesome and that we were meant for each other. (For example: your LinkedIn profile, your blog, links or documents showing work you’ve done, glowing recommendations.) Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis so please apply soon.
- Selected applicants will be invited to an interview starting with a 5 minute presentation on a professional topic of your choice, followed by short open-book exercises in Excel and SQL, and then a chat about your work experience (and hopes and dreams).
- DevResults has a salary transparency policy and makes decisions about salary based on a company-wide formula. Once you provide detailed information about your experience and education, we provide a negotiation-less salary should you receive an offer.
- Meet the engineering team / QA session
- Flexible start date
We’re a small team enjoying several years of sustained growth, but find ourselves at an inflection point. We want to continue building on the success of our platform, but more than that, position ourselves for rapid growth. That includes both ‘upwards’ with bigger clients such as government agencies and major international donors, as well as ‘outwards’ with forays into new markets as well as into smaller, more numerous organizations within our current market.
We primarily serve development and humanitarian professionals, but increasingly social good organizations in general. In order to make good on this broader vision, we need to broaden our team. That means new skills, different professional experiences, but also fresh ideas and unique perspectives that will add new energy and vitality to our team.
As much as we care about the work, we care more about those who do the work. We offer competitive benefits, strive to maintain and build upon an inclusive company culture, but most importantly, we have each others’ backs. We’re proud of what we’ve built so far and fully aware of where there is still work to be done. If you think you can add as much to our team as you can to our product, we can’t wait to talk to you!
- Small teamYou'll know everyone who works here by name, and what they are doing on the weekend.
- VacationWe don't ration vacation or sick time, so take the time off that you need. In 2020, DevResults employees took an average of 6 weeks of vacation.
- Parental LeaveDevResults provides a minimum of 12 weeks with 100% pay to new parents.
- HealthWe have a generous health/dental/vision and life insurance + long term disability insurance that can cover you and your family.
- SabbaticalsEarn 12 weeks of paid sabbatical with five years of service.
- RetirementWe offer a 401k plan with a 3% match.
- Transparent SalaryDevResults does not negotiate salary or pay raises, instead we use a documented model to calculate everyone’s salary based on experience, education and tenure.
- EducationWe'll assist your skill growth by assisting with books, conferences, online courses, or other ways you want to keep sharpening the saw.
- RetreatsWe take time to meet in person as a company to create our upcoming strategy and plan out our roadmap together as a team.
- Make a differenceYou'll be working on a product that helps our customers maximize their impact, which often means helping under-served populations or groups.
- Best toolsWe'll provide you with the tools you want to be successful (choose your own laptop, monitors, software, etc).
- Quarterly BonusesWe play a quarterly bonus game that requires us to work together towards a common goal and reward ourselves a bonus based on our performance.
- Annual profit sharingA slight simplification: we take half the annual profits of the company and split them equally between our employees.
We recognize that marginalized groups face discrimination in their daily lives, and we want our company to be a safe haven and a place where people of all backgrounds and identities enjoy working.
We are committed to confronting discrimination and harassment based on race, color, ethnicity, national origin, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital or familial status, religion, age, personal appearance, political affiliation or beliefs, disability status, and any other identity that makes you who you are.
We have a diverse team and we'd like to keep making it more diverse. People of marginalized genders; Black, Indigenous, and other people of color; and people of Hispanic origin, are especially encouraged to apply.